The Black music Timeline provides a general, historical overview of the origins of hip hop music from West African Oral traditions to its birth in the South Bronx, NYC. The timeline marks important genres in the history of Black music that contributed to development of hip hop and highlights prominent songs and artists from each genre. The timeline is delivered as a virtual video lecture presented by Chen Lo and Asante Amin to a group of music educators from around the world.
- Discover what is culturally responsive teaching and why hip hop cultivates the practice
- Experience over a dozen of music and video clips that story tell acts of resistance, pioneering, innovation, and contribution to the liberation movement
- Learn why hip hop and its connective tissue are critical to music and culture
About Soul Science Lab
Together as Soul Science Lab, Chen Lo and Asante Amin specialize in performance, large-scale music and multimedia productions, and culturally responsive educational experiences. Working at the intersection of music, culture, and technology, the music artist duo has developed and delivered numerous arts education workshops for students, educators, and intergenerational community audiences for the past 7 years. Lo and Amin collaborated to produce and facilitate arts programs with premier arts institutions including ... click here to learn more.
What exactly am I buying?
- Students of this course have on-demand access to the video lecture. Soul Science Lab owns all media content.
Who can benefit from taking this course?
- This course is designed with two tracks in mind including a professional development learning experience or a student learning experience. Aspiring music artists or music educators typically take the course but are accessible to anyone interested in music-making.
What is in this course?
- Students of this course engage with media content and historical viewpoints that story tell the fabric of hip hop and its importance to community, culture, and contemporary learning experiences.
What do I need to know before taking this course?
- Nothing. We got you! It is an easy and musically engaging course.
How long is the course?
- Approximately an hour.
How long do I have access to the course?
- This is a one-time payment course. As long as you have access to your Soul Science University account, you will also have access.
What if the course is not what I expected?
- We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 30 days and we can discuss a refund on a case-by-case basis.
I've never taught a music course, can I teach this course?
- The course is delivered as a webinar experience that can be replayed through Soul Science University account.